Coffee Shops have their own special little place in T.V. and movies. Seeing as we love T.V. and movies (especially T.V.), and we love coffee shops, we also loved Jamie's suggestion to write about famous coffee shop scenes in movies. (Thanks, Jamie!). We knew it would make a great post, but since our collective movie knowledge is limited (read: Laura hasn't seen most things), we decided to highlight some of our favorite coffee shops in T.V. and movies.
6. Frasier - Café Nervosa We saw this coffee shop credited (along with Central Perk) with the rise of coffee shop popularity in the U.S. It makes sense ... late 90s, popular TV show, tiny lattes with nutmeg and cinnamon (Niles) and double konas with cream (Frasier). One entire episode is centered around Niles and Frasier trying to find a new coffee shop after Café Nervosa hires a live musician. They would probably hate the shops in Nashville.
5. Felicity - Dean & DeLuca Everyone in Felicity's friend group manages to get a job at the same Dean & DeLuca. We watch them make coffees and muffins and stock shelves and fight and make out among coffee beans and espresso machines.
4. Elf - The 'World's Best Cup of Coffee!' Place
"It's great to be here!"
3. You've Got Mail - Starbucks "The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino." -Joe Fox [ah, the days when cappuccinos were only $2.95]
2. Gilmore Girls - Luke's While not a coffee shop in the proper sense of the word, Luke's Diner does serve coffee and the Gilmore women do drink it there 99.9 percent of the time, so we're counting it. Luke's is a central point of Gilmore Girls—more happens within those walls than nearly anywhere else in Stars Hollow. Not to mention that wall of mugs. Plus, coffee bowls.
1. FRIENDS - Central Perk Central Perk is perhaps the most definitive coffee shop in pop-culture-dom. What would FRIENDS be without it? After all, they spent more time there than they did at their actual jobs. Where would all six of them sit around in the middle of the day and complain about the jobs they weren't at? Where would they introduce boyfriends and girlfriends to the group all at once? WHERE WOULD PHOEBE PERFORM? Yes, Central Perk was almost a character itself within FRIENDS, and we wonder where coffee shop culture would be without its widespread influence. And Gunther.
Zoolander - Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
It's not a coffee shop, but it had to be mentioned.
Did we leave any out? What are some great scenes that take place in coffee shops?
**BTW, if you have a post idea or a guest post—we would love to hear it! Email us here.**